Talents & Gear
The most basic talent setup for mage AoE farming as a mage requires level 22. While you can learn Blizzard at level 20, you don’t have the necessary slow effect to effectively kill large groups of mobs. Once you reach higher levels, you can go deeper into the frost tree.
Just make sure to SKIP the “Frostbite” talent, as it messes with the strategy majorly.
In the early stages of mage AoE farming, you might not have enough mana for it, so it is advisable to prefer gear with intelligence on it. The best green items are the ones with the suffix “of the Eagle“, which have intelligence and stamina on them.
Ideally, you want to be able to cast 1-2x Cone of Cold, 3-4x Blizzard and 1-2x Frost Nova, depending on the mobs. If you do have mana problems, you can always use lower rank spells just to slow the mobs.
AoE farming strategy
- If you have enough mana, start by casting Mana Shield, then pull the mobs and stack them up in a nice bulk.
- Once you have gathered the mobs, cast your first Frost Nova and immediately start getting to max range at a clear spot.
- You should have enough time to get almost 2 full Blizzards off.
- Now you want to slow them again with Cone of Cold and either use Blink to get away, or run if you are low on mana.
- You should be able to get off at least one more Blizzard, and your Frost Nova should be ready again.
- If you have enough mana, you could repeat this process indefinitely, even without getting hit after the initial pull. Repeat until they are dead!
Mage AoE grinding spots
|~18-22||Gnolls||Silverpine Forest, Fenris Isle & Keep|
|~24-25||Peasants/Farmers||Hillsbrad Foothills, Fields|
|~25-27||Orcs||Wetlands, Southern Mountains|
|~30-32||Cave Yetis||Hillsbrad Foothills, North of Southshore|
|~30-35||Orcs||Arathi Highlands, Go’Shek Farm|
|~30-35||Farmhands||Arathi Highlands, Dabyrie’s Farmstead|
|~35-38||Murlocs||Duswallow Marsh, Northern Islands|
|~47-50||Raptors||Un’Goro Crater, South-East|
|~50-52||Undead||Western Plaguelands, Sorrow Hill|
|~51-55||Undead||Western Plaguelands, Fields|
These are the Mage AoE grinding spots that I regularly use, though there are a lot more suitable locations. There is a more detailed list of spots out there, though I can’t guarantee the accuracy of this list.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next post thank you once again.