The Black Temple attunement questline is by far the longest attunement in all of TBC, if you consider all the prerequisites it requires. In short, you’ll need to have killed Kael’thas and Lady Vashj, meaning you will need to be attuned for SSC and TK as well.
The questline starts either at the Aldor or Scryer Outpost in Shadowmoon Valley, depending on which faction you have chosen to follow. It’s only the first few quests that you have to turn in at the respective faction base. After that, it’s all the same quests.
How to get Black Temple Attunement
Shadowmoon Valley Prerequisite Questline
To start the questline for the Black Temple, you must first journey to Shadowmoon Valley and talk to your respective faction Quest Giver (Adlor / Scryer). Here’s what you need to do:
- Talk to Anchorite Ceyla at the Altar of Sha’tar [Aldor] or Arcanist Thelis at the Sanctum of Stars [Scryer] and accept The Tablets of Baa’ri.
- After Gathering 12 Baa’ri Tablet Fragment in the Ruins of the same name, get the next quest Oronu the Elder from your Faction NPC.
- Turn it in and get The Ashtongue Corruptors. These four mobs are located at these coordinates:
- Lakann: [49, 23]
- Ulyaru: [48, 38]
- Eykenen: [51, 52]
- Haalum: [56, 73]
- After returning, you’ll receive the last Faction specific Quest, The Warden’s Cage. Talk to Sanoru in the cave south of the Ruins of Baa’ri. The entrance is in the center.
- Sanoru will give you Proof of Allegiance, which requires you to kill a demon called Zandras. He is patrolling at the top of the walls outside the cave.
- Once this is done, Sanoru will send you deeper into the cave, through a short unterwater passage, to find Akama.
- Akama sends you to find Seer Udalo inside the Arcatraz Dungeon. Seer Udalo is dead in the room right before the last Boss and can be found in Normal and Heroic mode.
- After returning to Akama for A Mysterious Portent, he will ask you to acquire the Heart of Fury for The Ata’mal Terrace. You can find this at [71, 35] and a group is recommended for this fight.
- As soon as that’s done, you’ll need to venture to Shattrath for Akama’s Promise and bring the Medallion of Karabor to A’dal.
Raid Quests for Black Temple Attunement
Once you’ve talked to A’dal in the section above, you can choose a reward and the questline seems to be over. It’s not though. If you have completed this questchain, you can accept the next part of the Black Temple Attunement from inside the Serpentshrine Cavern.
- Kill Fathom-Lorn Karathress in the Serpentshrine Cavern and accept The Secret Compromised from Seer Olum, who is now free from his cage behind the boss.
- Return to Akama in Shadowmoon Valley and listen to his conversation with Illidan. He’ll then give you the quest Ruse of the Ashtongue.
- Kill Al’ar in Tempest Keep: The Eye while the Ashtongue Cowl is active. Simply use the quest item and then kill the big bird, then return to Akama.
- Akama will give you An Artifact From the Past, for which you’ll need to get the Phylactery of Rage Winterchill, the first boss in Mount Hyjal.
- In order to enter Mount Hyjal, you’ll need to complete the quest The Vials of Eternity, which requires you to kill Lady Vashj and Kael’thas Sunstrider and loot their repective Vials.
- Once this is done, turn in the Quest to Akama, then talk to A’dal again for the next part, The Hostage Soul.
- A’dal will give you Entry into the Black Temple, for which you need to talk to Xi’ri outside of The Black Temple in Shadowmoon Valley.
- Upon accepting A Distraction for Akama, the last event of the Black Temple Attunement will begin. You’ll need to help Akama and Maiev to enter the Black Temple during this event. At the end, you’ll recieve your own Medallion of Karabor, allowing you to enter the Black Temple yourself.
Congratulations! You can now enter The Black Temple!